Saturday, April 13, 2013

Self Taught Graphic Recording

Self taught graphic facilitation.

I came across mind maps about 20 years ago and bought Tony Buzan's book and learned mind mapping. I have been doing mind mapping ever since.

I was taught facilitation and  participatory adult education 13 years ago at a CHE (Community Health Education Trainers course) primarily for use in rural communities. I have been associated with similar Community Development work ever since. We regularly scribe discussion points on flip charts. The use of scribing in non-literate rural communities has helped to buld up my graphic vocabulary.

I am trying to recall the article that introduced me to "Graphic Facilitation" abut 3 months ao, but it eludes me: Probably something I saw on FLIPBOARD Magazine  on my iPad Mini.

Incidentally  I have been sketching with Singapore Urban Sketchers for the last 2 years: this has helped me rapidly sketch animate/ inanimate objects in outline form.

Googling "Graphic recording" has led me to
GR Facebook group
sketch notes:
and I purchased Brandy Agerbeck ebook "Graphic Recording"
Also have purchased Dan Roan's Back of napkin
Internet searches to
Idea sketching
Doodle notes
Sketchbook army.
I asked to meet Graphic Recorders in Singapore, and smehave kindly given of their time over coffee.
I asked permission from coordinator of annual community development meet to
A) show GR and
B) do it for three day meet.

He was happy for A but reluctant for B
"It may distract the speaker"
"It may distract the participants"

I promised to stop if I proved to be a distraction.



The tools...

Purchased 1.4 metre roll
Extra box of thick pastels
Extra marker pens (white board markers)
three Black,
 and one each blue, green, red.

At the conference I started with a presentation of what Graphic Recording is..
sketchnote plan of talk

converted to posters for actual presentation

and then I  proceeded to do GR for the rest of the meeting:




There were 15 Koreans who were bilingual English Korean.

There were 4 Koreans who were effectively monolingual Korean


There were 4 Chinese who were bilingual English Chinese .
There were two Caucasians who spoke English but no Asian language.
There was English/ Korean translation for each session.

I believe my GR helped to bridge the language divide.



I had layered my blanked three sheets of 1.4X6 metre paper one on top of the other as I taped them to the wall as I was not cofident that the marker pens would not bleed through and stain the wall: In the event none of them did and one layer of paper was good enough to protect the wall.




Page 1/3


Page 2/3


Page 3/3

















Tittle

    
One Presentation

some details
REACTION:
The best way to show you the participant's reactions is by video


No comments:

Post a Comment