Wednesday, September 3, 2014

GR in memory of my great grandfather

At a Bukit Brown event celebrating the advocacy award, Alex Tan reminded me of the Lim Boon Keng Memorial Lecture at Asian Cilivisation Museum 4 Sept 2014, 6 days before the event.

Alex Tan is the trustee for Lim Boon Keng estate. I got to know Alex over the past 2 years due to our mutual interest in the history and Heritage at Bulkit Brown 

Lim Boon Keng is my paternal great grand father. Amongst other things, I discovered that my Great grandfather Dr Lim Boon Keng was the founding president  of The China Society. 

The invitation came. 
"The China Society is proud to present 
the 3rd Lim Boon Keng Memorial Lecture 4 September 2014 Thursday 6.00 pm
Ngee Ann Auditorium, Asian Civilisations Museum, Empress Place, Singapore
"Confucianism and Citizenship in the Nanyang Diaspora"
a Distinguished Public Lecture presented by Dr Prasenjit Duara
Raffles Professor of Humanities & Director, Asia Research Institute,
National University of Singapore 5.30 pm)
Then the inspiration came: why not do a GR? 
After all I am a great grand son of the grand old man.
I wrote to the Society. I got no reply. "who is the head?" I asked.
" Ms Aileen Tan" came the reply.
I recalled I had met her at a previous China Society meeting.
And at that meeting we recalled we had played together with mutual friends as pre-teenagers, half a century ago.
I sent Aileen an email requesting to do a graphing recording .
Finally got approval some 5 hours before the event: with much lobbying from the honorary auditor.

I turned up with my 6x3 board only to be told that the committee were horrified by the potential disruption that a 6x3 foot chart might produce: they were adamant and definitely vetoed the idea of me doing a big chart recording but I was given a place of great honour, a front row seat where I could do a small recording, body language implying an A4 recording. 
I gracefully sat down and fumed. Then my inner Ninja kicked in. I went to cut a 3x4 foot piece of paper, folded into 4 panels, and folded that into four. Learning Ninja Origami has its uses! I GRed blithely on my front row seat, place of honour not withstanding.

This was my opening panel (pan pastels added at home)
Middle of first panel.
Bottom of first panel.


Top of seconds panel 
Rather like the arty effect.

Middle of second panel


Bottom of second panel


Top of third panel


Arty bit to fill up unused real estate

No comments:

Post a Comment