Sunday, August 25, 2013

The delight of the LORD

Pastor Jeremy Ong

Was blessed  to hear our new pastor make his maiden sermon at WMC today.
Jeremy began by thanking church for thir prayers and support all these years from the time he was welcomed as a teenager to WMC, thru YM and TTC


The bible passage fromIs 58: 9b- 14. spoke of God's promise of blessings to those that live righteous lives.


Turning to a reference in CS Lewis' book The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Jeremy identified the tag line "Betrayed for Turkish delight" as Edmund betrays his siblings for this delectable desert.

The name contours up magical mystery, but when actually he got to sample some Turkish Delight Pastor Jeremy was disappointed and thought that the stuff did not taste good at all.

But the point is,
What brings you delight?
And what brings God delight?

The Isralites went through the motions of fasting and animal sacrifice but these did not please God.
their motives were wrong.
their lives were wrong

Spefically in this passage
FOUR conditions and SEVEN blessings

FOUR conditions 
1 REMOVE yoke of oppression
2 STOP quarelling
3 PROVIDE food for the hungry
4 HONOUR the Sabbath

SEVEN blessings
1 God will remove darkness
2 God will guide you always
3 God will satisfy your needs
4 God will strengthen you
5 You will rebuild
6 You will restore
7 People will take delight in the LORD


God is willing and wanting to bless us.
Will we do our part?

What is the yoke of oppression we cause them to bear?
Insisting on labour during fasting?
Dont force them to work during fasting.
Treat FWD as part of your family
Provide chocolate bars to migrant workers, street cleaners.
Offer food to the hungry
Satisfy needs of widows and orphans
Meet emotional needs of those around us.

THE BLESSING is that you will delight yourself in The LORD.
"Riding on the heights of the earth" is a description of a position of security.

NOTE
None of this can be achieved by our own strength
This is the miracle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Obey these injunctions not out of fear but out of love.



 Take home message:
Free the oppressed
Meet the needs of the week
Delight in the LORD
THIS IS TRUE WORSHIP


Technical notes
This sermon was recorded as a sketchnote on my iPad2 using SketchbookPro.
I had a template grid layer to mark of the whole page into 6 sub-pages:
template grid was set at opacity 60% as 2nd layer.
Work layer was first layer.

Managed three icons for this talk
a sketch of the speaker
a sketch of a blob of turkish delight
a sketch of a person under a yoke

My handwriting was quite a scribble
 (index finger scribing)
Neater when I zoom in 600% or more.

I make no apologies for post production editing... I made neater hand writing and I found that use of stylus improves my writing, as I can see the evolving lines better from the tip of the stylus than when blocked by my fat finger. (Well do iPhone users know of Fat Finger Disease)

I actually extended to a second page during scribing (new file).
Post-production (ie back at home later) I tidied up the graphics and the words:
To add the extra page I imported it as another layer, and re-scribed the relevant words onto my work layer. Then I deleted the second page.

The final work was exported to my photo album; a photo editing app was usedto crop the image to six sub pages. QED.

I will use a stylus for my next live scribing using iPad, Sketchbook Pro.



No comments:

Post a Comment